Monday, August 13, 2012

Don't Forget to Love!


Since my earlier blog entry had a bit of a condemning and angry tone to it, which I don't regret, but would like to balance, I thought I'd try to be more specific in developing the idea of Christian love.

Do we really consider love in our day to day choices and interactions with people?

Much of the behavior I see from Christians is, in my opinion, yet another indicator of how far the vast majority of the church has strayed from biblical truth.

Don't Forget Who You Are
Often times Christians behave as though non-Christians are appalling. This is ironic since we were once in their shoes and still struggle with most of the same issues they do...The difference? We're just forgiven because of Jesus. Oh, and while I think the "I'm just forgiven" deal has been distorted by many to where it sounds like a boasting ("Oh yeah? Well I'm FORGIVEN.. unlike YOU.") I am saying it in humility. I mean, my rebellion against God, and my self-centeredness (lack of love for others), is despicable.. and yet Jesus' sacrifice wipes the slate clean. This leaves NOTHING for me to boast about. All I can do is point to His work. Oh, and one other problem with being appalled by non-Christians is that JESUS CALLED YOU TO LOVE THEM, just like He did/does.

Don't Forget Who Jesus Is
The Bible describes Jesus as a friend of sinners. He was accused of being a glutton and drunkard (by the religious leaders) and He hung out with tax collectors and prostitutes. Ironically enough, many "Christians" today would likely, like the religious leaders of Jesus' time, be the first to condemn someone for hanging out with prostitutes and corrupt government contractors. Jesus loved others by serving and sacrificing for them, not by ruling and legislating over them.

Don't Forget Who Other People Are
Non-Christians are people. They're living, breathing, and hurting people, made in the image of God and capable of both amazing love and beauty, as well as horrific evil (just like YOU and ME!). But non-Christians are also not Christians. This means they aren't going to act like Christians, or hold all our values and beliefs. This is why I believe we should never try to legislate morality. Changing laws to dictate how people should act will not change their hearts, fix the world, or bring them to Jesus. There are lots of non-Christians who are far more moral than most Christians. Morality and good behavior does not save people... Jesus does. So, don't waste your time imposing YOUR rules and morality on people who don't embrace YOUR beliefs. Instead, love and serve them.

Don't Forget Who God Is
I think most of us tend to take injustices, whether against ourselves or Christianity in general, as some kind of personal affront to which we are called to respond. Additionally, we tend to carry our sense of justice into other places it doesn't belong as well. Instead, we need to respond with grace and patience, as Jesus did and does. This doesn’t mean soft peddling sin, nor does it mean ignoring the plight of the oppressed, etc., but it does mean that we don’t have to act indignant or appalled when non-Christians don't share our Christian views. It's not my job to judge and condemn. God doesn't need me to fight His battles, He needs me (and you) to show the world His love and grace.

Don't Forget What Love Is
Despite how it is portrayed by many today, love is not optional for the Christian. While it's not optional, love is:

  • Genuinely seeking the best for others, including those that most would consider our enemies (Matt. 5:44). 
  • Paramount. I Corinthians 13 says "I may be able to speak the languages of human beings and even of angels, but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong or a clanging bell. I may have the gift of inspired preaching; I may have all knowledge and understand all secrets; I may have all the faith needed to move mountains—but if I have no love, I am nothing. I may give away everything I have, and even give up my body to be burned—but if I have no love, this does me no good."
  • THE indicator of Christianity. "And now I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. If you have love for one another, then everyone will know that you are my disciples." (John 13:34-35)
  • The greatest commandment (according to some guy named Jesus): "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like it: Love your neighbor as you love yourself."
  • Patient and kind; it is not jealous or conceited or proud; love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable; love does not keep a record of wrongs; love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth. Love never gives up. (1 Cor 13). 


I'm pretty comfortable ranting about stuff, but in this case I'm going to leave it simple. Let's consider how the Bible describes love, and then compare our behavior to that.


No comments: