Monday, December 10, 2012

What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You, But it Can Get You Labeled a Fool


It's a shame that admitting you don't know something so often prompts the pity or disdain of others, rather than their admiration or respect. It's a weird thing really... we want people to be honest, and not arrogant, but then when a person seeks to learn by admitting they don't know something, the most common emotion (from what I have observed) is to view them as less intelligent, and to thus feel superior to them. But, in reality, a person who seeks to learn, and isn't afraid to admit that they don't know something, is likely more secure and wise than those who won't.

Maybe I'm off base here, but my typical response when someone mispronounces a word, or says they don't know what a word or phrase means, is to suddenly feel superior. In my less idiotic moments, I guess like right now, I see that it's actually reversed. While my ego is inflated by their honesty, it's actually they who are likely more secure and wise. That's ironic.

Knowing this, while I want to be a learner, and to admit my ignorance, I also know what many others will think when I do. So, I just have to remember that my significance does not come from others, and my identity is not found in my intelligence (a fact for which I should be thankful!).

I'm thankful that God is beating me over the head with this lately, teaching me that my identity and significance come from my relationship with Him and not from how other people view me. Outwardly, I hope it results in me loving and caring about others more genuinely.

No comments: