Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dear God, ANSWER ME!

When we put our house on the market, I had hoped and prayed that God would sell our house "quickly and for more than it's worth". In part, I wanted it done and sold, and in part I wanted Him to get glory. After more than a month on the market, having lowered the price, and having seen a number of people tour the house only to pass it up and buy something else, I became bitter and frustrated. I mean, the emotions of being in two places at once, and having to keep the house clean all the time, is one thing... that's very real, but not what I'm talking about here.

Today I sat looking out my window asking God why I can logically understand that He works things for my best, but why He doesn't often seem to work in dramatic, "miraculous" ways in response to my prayers. The way I saw it, there's no reason why God shouldn't answer my prayer to sell the house quickly and for good money. After all, it would bring Him glory! Right? Well, then it dawned on me...

I was looking to bring Him glory by saying "God sold our house for more than it was worth and in less time than others were selling!". But this is rarely how God works... He most often works by affecting change in peoples hearts and lives, and less frequently in their physical comfort and bank accounts.

God is not as concerned about my physical well being as He is about my spiritual well being. My "unanswered" prayers regarding our house do not indicate His love for me... my development does. Because of this, my prayers that God would sell the house in a way that brings Him glory, are being answered. In the end, what brings God glory is how I've grown through this. He is a God of relationship and fatherly love, not a genie or divine vending machine.

UPDATE:
I figured I should amend this to reflect what happened after this... I had the above revelation and the next day, here's what happened.... I was in my office, frustrated that nobody was looking at the house. I was aware of the above, but still wondered why nobody was viewing the house as compared to early on. I came out to the kitchen and voiced this to Corey... I then came back to the office and prayed "God, I don't know why nobody is calling to see the house. Please just help me to enjoy my time with my family, and to cherish them while we wait". Literally one minute later, a call came that someone wanted to view the house in an hour. They came and looked at it, and within a couple of hours we had an offer. A full price offer within a month and a half of listing in the worst housing market in at least 30 years.

No comments: