Friday, August 8, 2008

Gas lines and holes in the ground...

So we decided to go ahead and start our addition. We got a loan. We got our permits. Next on the schedule was to start excavating. So then, this is a picture of a patched gas line. Why, you might ask, is it patched? Well, that would be due to the fact that as I was digging to expose the gas line so that our excavator could start digging I got a little too aggressive with the dig-bar. Next thing I know I've got natural gas shooting into the air and I'm sprinting inside yelling "Call the gas company!" to Corey.
The gas company came out pretty quickly and fixed my stupidity, or at least the product of my stupidity, and the guy that fixed it was so cool that he didn't even charge me! (a rarity from what I hear) So, once that was squared away, our excavator started work and put a nice large hole in the ground. This was, hopefully, not anindicator of things to come because in the span of 1 day he managed to hit our phone line (several times), the power to our well pump and our main water line from the well. Don't get me wrong though, this was in NO WAY his fault. These things aren't marked by the dig line folks and so you have no way of knowing where they are until you tear them out of the ground in nice 'S' shaped wads. (You can actually see the mangled remains of our water lines laying on the ground near the middle of the picture)
So, we quickly patched the wiring, repaired the water lines and we're back in business. I'll be using my Saturday to fix the phone line.

Overall it really is exciting and a nice change from sitting at my desk all day. I'll try to keep the page updated with some pics....

No comments: